Friday, April 6, 2018

A to Z Challenge: F is for Fear of Never Finding Someone #singlenessmyth#6

My A to Z Challenge is a blog about singleness.  Some myths, some thoughts, some of the things that I have been learning as a 30 something year old single American woman, in a culture that sees this as something that is less than.....  join me on this journey!







F is for Fear of Never Finding Someone    Myth #6:  There is only one person for everyone, and if I have never been married by 36 then I probably won't get married.


Fear grips each of us.  Fear of rejection, fear of truth at times, fear of the unknown.  I found myself about 2 months ago gripped in this fear.  The fear that I would die never having known what it was to be married and have kids.  At the time I didn't realize just how much of a hold that fear was having on me.  I didn't realize that it was causing me to make choices that in my younger years I wouldn't have even considered to be choices.  I was dating people that I would have never looked twice at, I was waiting around for certain people to notice me.  I have never been that girl.  So, why was I turning into that girl?

Then it occurred to me... I was living out my fear.  The fear that alone, I was not good enough for this society.  Alone meant that I wasn't living up to my potential.  Not having a partner to share this life with meant that there was something wrong with me.  Was I unloveable?  Was I not pretty enough?  Was I too much "the girl next door?"

I wouldn't say I am over these fears.  Not by a long shot.  I still have them, because honestly I have always been that girl.  The one that you can bring home, because your parents will love me.  I fit all the boxes, Christian, kind, compassionate, sarcastic, not afraid to call you on your  stuff, and ready to live wherever I am called.  But there is something about me when it comes down to it that I hear EVERY SINGLE FREAKING time.  "I don't want to lose you as a friend."  Which I think is a big cop-out.  Because honestly if you really did see potential in me, you would know that if something didn't work out, you wouldn't lose me as a friend anyway.  It's always something along those lines.  I always just fit into the "girl next door," zone....

So, honestly I don't share my feelings a lot.  I hardly ever let someone in close enough to go beyond friendship, and when I do most of the time it is because I know that it would never really lead to something real.  I as well would rather keep friends then lose them because of a love that didn't work out.  But it sucks.  It sucks a lot and it creates this fear in me that I will never find anyone who sees me as anything more than just a good friend.

I'm learning to let go of that fear, and embrace singleness.  I may never be seen as more than a good friend, and I am becoming more and more okay with that.  Because at least I have what it takes to be a friend.  At least that is a role that I can fill.  I can listen to you, I can be there for you, and I can make sure that no matter what you feel loved.  Because the truth is that I don't find my worth and value in having a life partner.  Sure, I would love that... but ultimately if I am finding my worth and value in that I will be disappointed every single time.

So, I let go of the fear.  Some days I have to let go of it a billion and one times, but the more I let go of it, the more I am able to see just how many people I have in my life that fill that void of finding "the one."  I would rather be surrounded by good friends and family, then be stuck with something that wasn't meant to be all along.


No comments: