Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas...2015

This year I kept seeing people post about how they didn't feel in the Christmas spirit.  I'm not sure if it was the 60 degree weather we were experiencing or if it was just because Christmas came so quickly  this year?  I'm not sure exactly what it was, but every time I heard it I felt myself get cringe.  I love Christmas and I am a person that doesn't need cold weather for it to feel like Christmas.  Mostly because I've lived in places where Christmas happens during 100 degree weather. 

This year though something felt different in myself.  I think it first occurred when I was talking to my friend and she mentioned that their focus with their 2 year old has been on Jesus and not presents.  I know...crazy, right?  Then in just talking with my family I realized how much focus we put on presents, not intentionally but just that is what Christmas has become.  Yet, I feel like along the way I even lost the reason behind why I give presents in the first place. 

Presents are a symbol of God's love for us, aren't they?  Isn't that what we are doing, going beyond ourselves and giving to show our love to those around us, just like He showed His love to us by sending His son?  Yet, is that really what it has become?  I got an email everyday from stores that I have given my email to...EVERYDAY with new deals.  It made it really hard for me to focus on Jesus and not on buying things. 

What if our focus authentically became Jesus.  What would that look like?  How would that change the way we give gifts, the order we celebrate Christmas in, and the joy we find in Christmas?  What if our Christmas celebration was less about consumerism and more about finding the joy that comes from God, instead of joy from having things?

Something to think about...



No comments: