Thursday, February 8, 2018

Lent.... 2018

I can't believe that we are less than a week away from the beginning of Lent 2018.  I am so thankful for these last 5 years when I have been able to participate in this time of preparation for Easter.  It's hard for me to decide what to "give up" for Lent, and most of the time I just end up giving up FB because it is the most waste of time for me.  So, this year I want to really think about it, and replace whatever I decide to give up with more worship, meditation, and service.  I don't want my life to be "busier," but I do want it to be more contemplative. 


Lent should be a sacrifice.  It should cause me to think about where my focus is.  It should cause me to put more focus on Him, and less on me.  I don't often times focus on Him first.  I have gotten into this bad habit of waking up, and the first thing I think about is me. I  know I am not alone in that. I know that there are a lot of people that just like me, lose focus on what's important.  We go through our day thinking that we are the only person struggling, or judging others for their struggles.  We go through the day leading a life that is selfish, and unloving.  A life that counts the wrongs of others, puts people into categories, and doesn't allow for mistakes. 


What will it take for me to put my focus where it needs to be?  What will it take for me to look upward for approval, healing, grace, and mercy instead of outward?  What's going to lead me to sacrifice, forgiveness and love? 


So, for Lent 2018, I'm giving up all social media, and replacing it with worship.  Worship in many different forms.  But I won't be on FB, IG, Pintrest, or Twitter.  I am going to stay away from the news online also, and pick up a paper or two if I want to read what is going on. 


The thing about Lent is that it isn't just about giving something up, but it is about putting something in place of that thing.  Focusing less on fake news outlets, mediocre interactions with friends that aren't getting to the heart of where you are, and likes that lead you to think that you are popular and that's what matters. 


Instead I want to find my worth in Jesus.  I want my focus to be on who He is, what He did, and how it should be changing my heart, my life every single day.  I feel like this is a time to get my focus back, to rededicate my life to what He wants.  A time to understand what sacrifice means, and how it should be changing my life daily minute by minute.  A time to interact with people face to face, instead of behind a screen.  A time to open my heart to where He might be leading me.  A time to get to know Him more intimately.  A time to break away from this world, and the holds that it has on me. 


I am going to try my best to blog everyday throughout Lent.  Some days it might be more personal what He is teaching me.  Other days it might be just a little glimpse into people's stories that I am meeting along the way.  I am not sure what exactly it will be, but I am excited about the changes that will be made in me. 


Maybe you don't participate in Lent, maybe you do.  Whatever you choose to do during February 14th-March 31st I hope and pray that you find time to rest, to contemplate, and to listen to His voice that wants to call you deeper and love you more. 


I would also love to hear what you do during Lent! 

No comments: