Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Candid Vulnerability....

I get the Lent Journal delivered to my inbox everyday from Michael T. McRay.  It has become something that I look forward to.  It is someone's story each day.  Most telling of a time when they were impacted, or a profound moment in life. 


Today's struck a cord with me.  You see I think that we have to ask ourselves if we are in line with Jesus (if that is who we follow) everyday. 


For instance this morning, I had a situation with someone where they deliberately went out of their way to impact my morning negatively.  In that moment I could have chosen to do a couple of different things that would have derailed this person's attempt to sabotage my morning.  I could have made it to where this person was impacted very negatively.  Instead I just let it be.  I ignored the situation, and I made it through my morning without harboring too much anger.  I am not always in line with Jesus like this.   A lot of times I fail to do things the way He does them. 


In today's devotion, the author talked about how Jesus had an open hand to every clenched fist that He encountered.  Do I do that?  Do I have this vulnerability to the clenched fists around me?  Those that are so closed up they push people away, or want to put others down. 


What does it mean to have vulnerability like Jesus, yet still have boundaries?  Can I have both? 


I believe I can, but the balance has to be there, right?  The balance of love and vulnerability?  If I am open to people, and understanding where they are coming from instead of judging their anger.... might I just impact them in a positive way? 


What if every interaction I had, I found a way to see the good. 


Maybe it seems unattainable... but for today.  I choose to see the good, I choose to have candid vulnerability in every interaction. 


Maybe it will do nothing to better this world, but maybe it will too. 

No comments: