Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A new start....and a deep breath

My first day in a new place, surrounded by people that I have known less than 48 hours (for the most part) and I feel more at home then I have in a long time.  I am not ready to say that this is where I am meant to be, but I am thankful for a little less stress, and a lot more smiles.  I didn't really realize how much I missed walking down the hallway and being greeted with smiles.  Or walking just about anywhere for that matter.  

My first day was nothing like I expected.  The 10 2nd graders met me with blank stares and silent words.  I could see a lot of apprension in the way they entered my classroom, and the way they timidly answered questions.  The confidence was just not there.  There was this underlying timidness (is that even a word) that I have not seen since, Thailand.  So many interactions today reminded me of those first days in Thailand.  Before I knew the culture, before I knew the people, and before my students felt comfortable enough to misbehave.  Still it is going to be hard for me to believe that these kids will ever be to the degree that I have seen in my travels.  

As I looked around my class today, I felt this sense of wonder and awe at the fact that I was placed, here for these kids.  These kids that can pretty much write perfect sentences.  I know that seems normal, but I am telling you when you are teaching kids that don't even know how to put together a simple sentence, it is amazing to see some that just write away.  

Writing is one of my favorite thing, and so to have  kids that love writing I feel beyond blessed.  I feel like it is my special gift.  I get to teach kids that share my passion!  How awesome is that!  

I'm not saying that everything is perfect, there have been some crazy things today, but the thing is that nothing is getting me down like it was before.  I am not wanting to scream and cry right now, which is saying a lot.  I am even still at school and not feeling like bashing my head against the wall.  I am excited to see what these kids will do.  

I am excited to get to know this culture, and learn a lot.  

I am also excited to say that I will be writing my book...I'm going to do it!  This is my chance...living on a island in the middle of nowhere...can't get better than that!  

No comments: