Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Korean language journey

Three times a week there is a shuttle that goes from the school apartments/dorms to town.  You can hope on the bus and get dropped off at the mall.  I plan on taking advantage of this bus at least twice a week, just to get out and have some different scenery.  

Today on the way I was in the bus with all Koreans.  Granted it is a Korean school, but it just struck me as odd.  I have nothing against the Korean culture in fact I am excited to say that some of my greatest friends have been Korean.  But there is something about being in the Philippines, and being amongst Koreans.  Two cultures clashing, and bringing in a third to help go along with it.  There are so many similarities, and yet so many differences.  

I am thankful that I get this chance.  I get to break down walls and barriers that are built up because of language and the color of skin (even though we want to all pretend they aren't there...they are!)

Sometimes I don't mind not understanding what is being said.  It creates a safety blanket for me.  I can sit and observe without having to interact.  I get to be around people, but do not have to experience the social awkwardness of trying to speak in another language.  I have seen people struggle as they are trying to speak English and frankly I am thankful that at this point I speak neither Korean or Tagalog.

One day soon I might change my mind, but for now I am content to just sit and observe.  To take in my surroundings and be thankful that God understands us all! 

No comments: