Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Book #10 of 2020 American Dirt

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

This book was excellent.  When I started reading it I actually wasn't sure that I was going to like it, but the more I got into the story, the more I really just felt like I was there watching and feeling all these events take place.  Sometimes it amazes me the amount of people that I know that really and truly do not even try to understand  what other people go through.  The journey they must take to get to a place where they are free.  Especially people that are supposed to be all about loving others.  They are the first ones to say that this person should just go back to where they came from, without even trying to understand the story.  There is nothing that makes me more special than someone that was born somewhere else.  I could have easily been born in a village in South America.  You know?  Like why as Americans do we feel so entitled, and so much better than people around the world?  We aren't.  God didn't set us apart.  He didn't give Americans more talents and wisdom.  We are literally made of the same things as anyone else around the world.  Yet for some reason we cease to see this.

American Dirt gave me this tiny glimpse into a long, hard journey.  A journey I will never have to know.  My life will never be in danger so much that I have to flee this country.  I will never have to climb on top of a train and journey thousands of miles just to not get raped.

The strength and resilience of these characters helped me to understand a little bit more about our human hearts.  We all need connections.  We all long to be people that belong somewhere.  We all long for safety.

I'm thankful for this book and this story!

Recommend 10/10!

No comments: