Sunday, January 11, 2015

Day 10: When Birthdays turn Violent, and other observations

This should have been written on Saturday!  Day 10 of Blogging

Today I got to help out at a birthday party.  It was one of those times when I had to not be a teacher, but just a friend.  I found myself wanting to have a conversation with a few of the boys that attended the party.  Why is it that common courtesy seems to have just gone out the window.  No, boys shouldn't just be boys...because one day those boys will be men.  How in the world do you expect your boys to grow up into men that care about others if you don't teach them that when they are boys???? 

It just doesn't even make sense to me.  You stand by and watch them throw, push, shove, and call names...yet one day you expect them to not do any of that.  WHAT? 

Does that even make any sense? 

It doesn't make any sense to me.  How can we raise up kids that respect others, listen to authority, but still have their own voice and personality?  I am not sure I have the answers, but I know that it starts in the home.  I know that it starts with the way they speak to their siblings, the way they treat their grandparents.  I know that it starts each and every morning...when they open their eyes and glance around at how those within their home are interacting with each other. 

No comments: