Friday, November 8, 2013

A month on this Island....

Tomorrow will mark my 1 month anniversary of being in the Philippines.  I still can't believe that I have been here a month.  I am so thankful for how quickly it is going. I am thankful that I have been able to settle into this new life.  I am thankful that I am able to be a part of a community.  Even if it is kind of a weird community.  Last night about 18 of us went out to celebrate someone's birthday.  It was so much fun, and I did realize that there is something about just being out with people that makes me happy. I miss having a community.  I miss just being able to laugh.  But the thing is that I would trade it in for my family.  To be able to hang out with them and watch football.  I would totally trade my exotic life for that.  

I am thankful for this opportunity.  I am thankful that I get to be here for this time, but I am also looking forward.  I am hopeful for what the future brings.  I am hopeful that there is something great about to happen.  Something that will change my life and other lives.  I am thankful for time to just think and ponder.  The fact that I can be surrounded by people, or completely alone.  

In this month I have learned so much about the Korean culture and the Filipino culture.  I am thankful that I can laugh and get to know both cultures.  That my students can speak 3 different languages, and that they are able to learn.  

My students all got over 100% on their spelling test this week.  Do you know how excited I was.  I was seriously so excited!  I am so thankful that I have a group of kids that want to learn!  

It makes me feel like I am really doing something!   

No comments: