Friday, February 1, 2019

Book #6 of 2019 ..... "The Nine of Us" Growing Up Kennedy

To peak inside this family of nine is one of the greatest treasures I have ever been given.  The way that the Kennedy family was raised is mind blowing to me.  The compassion and care that they put into life, and other people is something that we need again.  One of the most endearing parts of this book was the fact that there is SO much information about each individual and how they were able to make the family whole.  It reminds me of my own family, and all the different aspects that make us a family.  As I struggle with not having my own family, I read stories like this and feel very much in awe.  But there is also this jealousy that grabs a hold of me because I want that.  Maybe not 9 children, but this story it truly does open that part of me even more.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Mother and Dad both descended from Irish immigrants, a fact that profoundly affected their outlook on life and the choices they made for their family."  -page 10

There is such a stigma on immigrants right now in our country, yet if we really took time to look at where our ancestors came from, would we be so quick to judge, so quick to "build  a wall?"  If you have never been in a position where you have been judged based on the country you were from, or not being able to speak the language, you are not going to understand what I am talking about.  One day we are going to realize just how important immigration is to our country, but then it is going to be too late.  

"All of us understood from the earliest age that we were required to use our talents and gifts for the good of others and of our country."  page 12

What if this was what we taught?  What if every family in the world taught that using our gifts and talents to benefit others, instead of the other way around.  How different this world would be!  

"As I look back, it is clear how intentional my parents were in every decision they made.  They did not rely on chance, but instead set very clear rules through their example."  page 12

If I ever get to be a parent one day... this is the kind of parent I want to be.  The kind of parent that is an example of how to love others, how to have self control, how to say what I mean.  Not the kind of parent that is like, oh you can't have any sugar but I am going to eat this candy bar right in front of you.  Or the kind of parent that has one set of rules for my kid, but as an adult I don't abide by those same rules.  I never want to be that kind of parent.  

"He could not abide us feeling sorry for ourselves.  Life was far too good for us to whine about small things.  It was selfish, and on top of that it was boring."  page 13

I want to take this advice in my own life.  The past couple of days have not really helped me with this.  I want to start asking myself if what I am complaining about is really worth it in the long run.  Most of the time it isn't at all.  


"In our family in sickness and in health, we were all involved with one another, all in the same life, a continuum, a seamless fabric, a flow of time."  Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

Yes!  So much this!  I think that if only we could grasp how the family should be.  That we are there for each other, to help each other.  That we rely on each other, and push through the tough moments.  That adult relationships evolve as kids get older, and they turn into something more.  

There were so many more quotes that I loved from this book, but mostly I just loved the story.  I loved what this family stood for.  I loved that this story did not focus on the tragedy, but on each individual person and the role they played in making this world better.