Saturday, February 16, 2019

Book #9.... Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush

Somehow I have actually read 9 books instead of just 8 as I looked back through my list.  So I am going to just get on track with this blog post!  What a great book it was!  I was crying and laughing at the Bush family antics.  It gave me such a wonderful look into their family life.  I think sometimes we get so stuck on political parties that we forget to see the people.  We forget to open our heart to understand where they are coming from.  I'm thankful for this family, and their story.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"I do appreciate the beauty in others, and every close friend of mine, from all over the world, began as a stranger, just as I began as a stranger to them- even if at the beginning they recognized my name."  page 14

What a great thing to be able to say that you appreciate the beauty in others.  From the moment I started reading this book, the Bush twins amazed me with their love for other people.  I deeply connect with them on this.  We are also about the same age, and so this book has so many similarities to my own childhood, it amazes me.

"As a professional wanderer, I've never wanted to accumulate many things."  page 21

Yes!  Yes to this so much!

"Rather he wanted to teach us that it was the family moments, the light moments, and the joyous moments, on which we should make our lasting moments."  page 29

Sometimes we get so serious that I think we forget about just enjoying the small moments.

"In many ways, I was fortunate that it was the year of 2000.  These were the last days of dry-erase message boards on dorm room doors, where people left notes when they were dropping by rather than sending texts from down the hall.  There was no Facebook, no Twitter, whatever my friends might have thought or said when I wasn't around, I never saw them post anything."  page 87

Those were the days!  I am SO very glad that I went to college when I did.  I am so very glad that my high school days did not have Facebook or Instagram. That my every fault wasn't captured on social media.  I am so glad that I grew up in the days when life seemed a little more authentic and a lot less face-paced.

"It is a reminder that in any debate there are humans on all sides."  page 136

Yes, this!  We are all human.  Even in disagreements, we are all humans.  We all have to try to understand each other.

"In my work, I have been able to surround myself with caring humans, those who actively choose love for one another over division and fear.  Today, they are the ones rewriting the rules and the myths of love."  page 181

Let's all be humans that choose love over division and fear.  There is so much fear driving this world.  We think that we are better than others, we fear what others might bring into our lives, and we allow that to drive us into very dark places.

"I hoped I could help viewers to see that beyond any titles, there are real families and real people who live in this home called the White House."  page 190

If I could choose one thing that this book among others has helped me to see, this quote is it.  Real families, even the current one.  Let's look beyond what we think of the people we encounter.  Let's be authentic and love people no matter what!


No comments: