Sunday, January 27, 2019

Book #5 of 2019.... The Finnish Way by Katja Pantzar

This is another book that I started last year and just didn't have the diligence to keep reading it at the time.  I am a very big believer in the face that if something isn't working at the time, it  might just mean that it is going to be for a different time in your life.  I needed this book right now!

This book seriously made me want to pack up and move to Finland!  It made me so jealous of the lifestyle.  So, I have been thinking about ways that I can incorporate parts of this lifestyle into my daily life.  The first thing I am going to do is try to have more Sisu.  Embracing challenges, small and big.  Open to trying new things and experiences beyond what I think my limits might be.  Practical solutions, ways to move forward, to build up fortitude and resilience!  I'm so excited for this new life that doesn't keep complaining when things don't go my way.  I am also not very good with sticking to things.  When I get in a situation that is hard I usually flee.  I'm making Sisu a part of me.

Part of that is going to be not being afraid of cold weather!  So, don't be worried if you see me outside in freezing temperatures!  It's good for me, I promise!


Some of the things I want to try from the book:

Cold Water Swimming
Sauna's
Going out in nature more when I am feeling crappy, instead of medicine
Nordic Diet (give me all the salmon)
Biking
Starting my day with exercise
More Movement, less medicine
Minimalism as a lifestyle


Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:


"but here in Finland, daily doses of nature seem to form part of nearly everyone's lexicon" -page 10

I know I don't spend enough time in nature.  I also know that when I do spend time in nature, I feel SO much better.  This is a part of the Finnish life I want to embrace completely!  

"Sisu is a way of life to actively transform the challenges that come  our way into opportunities."  -page 35

What if our whole culture was about transforming challenges into opportunities?  It would change everything.  Maybe part of a great life is taking the challenges and making them opportunities.  Everyday, every challenge!  

"Our sensory system was developed with nature in mind.  Living in a type of virtual reality without connection to earth is not good for human beings."  -page 56

We need to be out in nature!  We were never made to live in these boxes without being outside.  No matter what the weather is like, I am going to try to be outside for 10 minutes everyday and see what kind of difference it makes!  

"For me, the indelible marks come from the authentic experiences that lead me on a path back toward the natural world."  -page 83

I just love this quote and the picture that it makes in my mind.  Everything leads to being outside connected to nature, connected to something bigger than myself.  

"There, kids are allowed to be kids, play together, and have naps; they are not aggressively prepped academically."  -page 131

Everything about the school system in Finland is absolutely something that I wish we had.  Just focusing on the happiness of the kids, on how they connect with others.  If only that were what we focused on.  How many kid's lives would be saved if they were able to understand and learn in a safe environment.  Instead of academics being the main focus.  

"Kindergarten in Finland doesn't focus on preparing children for school academically.  Instead, the main goal is to make sure that all children are happy and responsible individuals."  -page 133

LOVE this so much!  Happy and responsible!  If only!  This is what we need!  Think about what that would mean if kids were growing up knowing and learning how to be happy and take responsibility!  Just think!  

"I seem to find my inner peace through movement and reading."  - page 159

Me too!  And crafts!  Definitely those 3 things!  

"Here I am accepted as, sometimes melancholy me."  page 161

This was one of the most interesting parts of the book.  To think that people aren't looked down on if they don't have a smile on their face.  It is okay to be melancholy sometimes.  Accepting others for whatever state they are in.  

"Opt for well-made, sustainably and ethically produced, functional items that will stand the test of time over several cheap, poor-quality, or unethically made products that will likely end up in a landfill."  -page 193

This is my new focus.  Not just buying things that are going to end up in a landfill.  Buying things that will last.  Buying only what I need.  

"Around the world we are literally drowning in a sea of stuff."  -page 199

No more stuff!  Stuff does not solve anything.  Less stuff = more happiness!  

"People come together without commercial gain in mind but rather for the common good of everyone." -page 204

I want this to be our culture.  For people to do things not to gain anything, but just because it helps someone else.  I want this so much for our world!  


This book has so many good things in it.  Now to implement some of them.  A little bit at a time!  




No comments: