Sunday, August 19, 2018

When People Aren't Who You Want Them To Be....

People really don't meet my expectations quite a bit, and yet I still haven't learned to not have expectations.  It is one of those things that I think I will just always expect people to be better than they are.  But the extent at which people are letting me down has been higher in the past couple months than I care to admit. 

Here's the thing.  I do not expect you to be everyone's best friend.  In my opinion you are not even going to like everyone, but you if you claim to be who He is... then you must love them.  Not just love with words.  Like you say you love everyone, but then the next thing you are posting on FB is some meme about how all liberals are this or how all conservatives do this.  No, I mean really love ALL people.  No matter where they come from, what they have done, and what they might do in the future. 

LOVE.... 

There are 2 specific people that I can think of right now that I am really having a hard time understanding.  One of them is someone that is stepping away from her entire family because some members of her family aren't doing what she thinks is the "right" thing to do.  Now... let  me just say this.... I love this person, but I will probably not engage in conversation with her again unless I see with my own eyes that her heart is in a different place.  Because here's the thing.  We aren't called to judge those around us, and not associate with them because we think they are making the "wrong choice."  We are called to be there for EVERYONE!  No matter what kind of choices they make, no matter what they are doing with their lives.  I seem to recall a certain teacher loving those that were the most hypocritical out of all of them.  Those people that think they are better than the rest of us.... I have news for you....  you aren't.  No one is.... and if you even took 5 minutes to examine yourself instead of putting yourself on a pedestal you would realize it too! 

The other person that I am having a hard time with is someone that has completely stopped talking to her family, for reasons that even she probably doesn't know anymore.  People have reached out to her, and she continues to ignore them.  You know why?  Because she holds grudges about things that happened in her childhood.  What?  Childhood people!  Come on!  Let it go!  Also, guess what???  The people that want to be in her life had nothing to do with her childhood.  It saddens me that this person is missing out on relationships with her family because she is too stubborn to let things go. 

So... this is what I say.  Nothing is worth kicking your family out of your life.  Family is there through it all.  They know your good parts, and your bad parts.  They know how to push your buttons.  But they also are going to be the only ones there when no one else is!  Be thankful for your family. 

Know that no one is going to be exactly who you need them to be.  We all have things in our lives that happen that we wish wouldn't have happened, but we learn from it, grow from it, and move forward. 

I hope that I can see people the way God does, without my human expectations! 

No comments: