Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Why Hatred is Eating Away our Hearts....

For the longest time I wasn't very vocal about how I felt when it came to the #blacklivesmatter movement.  I thought that it was important, but not worth all the controversy of me voicing my opinion.  I mean don't get me wrong I talked to my friends, and family about it.  But that was as far as it went.  It isn't like I didn't care, because I did.  I cared a lot, but it is almost like I didn't truly understand it.  I didn't truly get the fact, because I believed that there was just cause in the shootings.  I believed what the media told me.  I believed that killing was the only way. 

Then I stopped believing it. 

You know why I stopped believing it?  Because it isn't true. 

We have a hate problem right now in America.  We have a fear problem.  It is breaking us.  It is tearing us apart.  It is causing us to lose people that are making a difference in our nation.  It is breaking apart families.  It is a problem. 

It isn't THEIR problem.  It is MINE.  It is each of OURS. 

You know why? 

Because I am a Christian, and I believe that people were created in God's image.  So, if God's people are being gunned down just because they have a different skin color than I do.  It isn't okay with me. 

You know why else? 

Because I believe that EVERYONE is valued and loved.  That's right EVERYONE!  No matter what gender you are, no matter what color your skin is, no matter where you are from.  EVERY SINGLE PERSON that is on this planet, is VALUED and LOVED. 

I don't know how to say it any clearer, but no one knows my thoughts or feelings, because no one has walked in my shoes.  No one understands the fear that I have when I have to walk in a parking garage by myself late at night, no one knows that fear unless you have lived through that fear also.   No one understands what it is like to live in another country and leave behind everything and everyone, unless you have lived that. 

I don't know what it is like to be a minority in the United States, because I HAVE NEVER BEEN A MINORITY IN THE UNITED STATES! 

I will never understand what it is like.  So, I do not feel justified in pointing out how my life matters, when I have never been made to feel like it didn't because of my skin color. 

I sure have in regards to my gender, but that is another situation entirely. 

So, I guess my point is that I have people, people that I respect and love posting things, and saying things that are so degrading to their fellow human beings.  People that claim to hold the love of Jesus in their hearts are sitting their saying so many slang words, about others that I don't even know how to comprehend everything that I am hearing. 

Aren't we supposed to be about love? 

Aren't we supposed to be about putting others needs before our own? 

What if it was your husband?  Your son?  Your daughter? 

What if it was your niece or nephew? 

More than that...what if it was your next door neighbor? 

Aren't we supposed to be treating everyone like our neighbors.  Loving them, no matter what?  Isn't that what we are called to do? 

I can't swallow the hate that is in this nation right now.  I can't just sit back and say that it is okay.  When college students are painting their faces black, and posting things on social media...there is something really wrong with this world.  When the confederate flag is being flown as a symbol of power, and prejudice there is something really wrong with this world.  When we have more love and compassion for a man who raped someone, then one who was murdered there is something really wrong with this world. 

And I know there is!  We live in a fallen world.  We are a fallen people. But the problem is that if some of us don't stand up to the hate that is eating away at our hearts.  If we don't choose love, then what is the point in even claiming His name?  What is the point in even trying to make a difference?

We have to let go of hate.  We have to examine our hearts, and ask ourselves what are prejudices are.  We all have them.  We have to start letting them go.  All of us, no matter what color we are, gender we are, where we come from.  We have to learn to love again.

#blacklivesmatter

No comments: