Tuesday, March 5, 2019

True/False 2019

I can't believe it is over.  Another True/False Film Fest has come and gone.  It was the best one yet.  More than the films, it was because I feel like I found my place.  This weekend was full of meeting new people, and experiencing the fest in a different way.  I'm not sure I truly understood the logistics of what it takes to run a fest and all of the behind the scenes until this year.

First of all being a Queen was by far one of the greatest experiences of my life.  I think that it totally helped that my costume was on point.  To be admired, and adored by people isn't the point of life, but it sure does help one to feel better about themselves.  I also just loved being able to meet people from the fest.  To learn their stories, what brought them to the fest, and also to meet a few filmmakers along the way!

The films I got to see in order:

#1  One Child Nation- Go to this film!  It is amazing!  It made me question so many things.  To see how a government can create something, and allow propaganda to convince everyone that it is the right thing.  So mind blowing!  Also, I cried through basically the entire film.  Such a tough thing to understand.

#2  Finding Frances- Hilarious!  I loved this film for the way that it just brought out humor.  I don't know that I have laughed  that much in a long time.  It was so fun!  Not sure that everything in it was actually true, but isn't that the point of this film fest?

#3  Knock Down the House- This film was amazing.  I loved watching the behind the scenes of AOC.  To see her story unfold from the beginning was truly inspiring.  We have a lot to do yet in this country, but this film gave me hope!

#4 Midnight Traveler- Everyone should see this film.  To understand the inside story of a family that had no choice.  To see the truth that not "everyone" from a middle eastern country is out to get Americans.  I just loved the way that this story was written and how it allowed my eyes to be open to see people for who they are.

#5  Over the Rainbow- This film wasn't what I expected it to be, but it was still an interesting film to me.  A film that did allow me a different view of Scientology, and some of the people that practice it.  I am constantly stretched every time I watch a film like this.  It makes me think outside of the box that I place people in that practice a certain religion.  It made me want to do more research.

#6  A Wild Stream- This film had beautiful scenes in it, but that is about all that I got from it.  I wasn't too impressed with it as there didn't seem to me to be a story.

#7  A bunch of weird shorts!  I don't know that I understand shorts!  I will keep trying though!



I love True/False!  I love that filmmakers are brought in.  I love that this year I got to stay for more of the Q & A's than I ever have before.  I love how it makes me question and understand more about life and people.

Next year!  Can't wait!

No comments: