Friday, January 18, 2019

Book #3 of 2019.... One Day in December by Josie Silver

Romance seems like it is one of those words that brings up either really great memories, or really awful ones.  I have always been a skeptic of romance.  In my experience, most of the time I find that romance means so many different things for the man and the woman that it is hard to be "romanced" in the way that you really want to be. 

As I read this book, I became enthralled with the characters.  Wanting to fight so hard for who I wanted to be together, and not wanting their life to have the hardships that I saw coming. 

We are such scared creatures aren't we?  Afraid of love, afraid to break down the walls, because we are so unsure of the other person.  Are they going to break us past repair if we let them in? 

As I get older I think that I am wanting romance more and more.  Online dating has turned our culture into one that takes away any sort of romance.  People swipe right or left, and they think they know you well enough to be intimate with you.  But I find myself longing for a time when men and women didn't see each other as something to be won, but as something to be cherished, and guarded. 

This book brought romance back for me in this subtle, unexpected way. 

Such a great book! 

No comments: