Saturday, January 27, 2018

Mercy is for Everyone

The trees looked dead as I walked along the narrow path.  Not really understanding what this journey was going to be about, but just knowing that I needed to take it.  As I did, I listened to a sermon entitled, "Am I a Good Samaritan?"  Whew, as I looked at the world around me I thought about mercy.  I thought about what mercy means.  Too often I think that I have expected God's mercy.  I have just taken for granted the fact that He gives it so freely.  I can't do anything to earn it, but He gives it to me.  One quote from this sermon is "Mercy sees need and meets it!" - Keith Simon

What does that mean to me?  It means that where there is need, my mercy should be meeting that need.  I have gotten a little bit of flack from some people that think I am not spending enough time just resting and too much time doing things.  I will admit that a couple of weeks ago I felt pretty run down and I almost quit volunteering for a little while.  But then I had this moment where I thought... this year is about sacrificially giving up my time for others.  Then I heard this sermon today and I thought about all the ways that I don't give mercy.

I thought about how much of the time I put my needs before others.  I put my feelings above someone else and I forget to just give without expecting anything back in return.  That is the key, right?  Not expecting anything back in return.  Mercy meets the need without expecting needs to be met back.  Mercy says I see how much pain you are in, and I am going to do something about it.  That right there is my conviction.  I don't want to just say.... oh that really stinks, I am so sorry!  No, I want to DO something, I need to do something.  If I don't take action when I see someone in need, then what point is there?

My human nature though doesn't want to give mercy to everyone.  I want to give mercy to those that show me kindness.  I want to give mercy to those that I think deserve it.  I don't want to give mercy to those that are rude, or mean, or I feel don't contribute to this community.  As I walked I wrestled with that human nature of mine.  I thought about the people that I come in contact with that I should be going out of my way too help.  Everyday I come in contact with at least one person that needs to feel loved.  What am I doing to show them mercy?  How am I meeting those needs?

I don't get to pick and choose who gets mercy.  Mercy is for everyone.  To love well is to show mercy.  To love well, is to meet needs.  To love well is to give sacrificially.  To love well, means understanding people, their stories, and seeing what they have come through.  So this week, I hope I can be a giver of mercy to everyone I meet.

No comments: