Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Guarding Your Heart.... Research Begins

The past few years, well really if I am honest probably the past 6 years because I didn't even care about starting to date till I hit 30... I mean not really.  Anyways.. the past 6ish years I have struggled with guarding my heart, and what that means. I have watched friends get their hearts broken, I have watched marriages of people that I love and admire crumble, and I have seen people so guarded that they can't let anyone in.  It seems to me that there is this struggle we have, well maybe I am alone in it.  But this struggle between letting someone in enough to know if they belong in our lives, and not letting them in to hurt us, or go beyond where they should. 


In some circles it is referred to as "guarding your heart." 


I pretty much have heard that term used since I was in the youth group, but I am not sure that I ever really understood what it meant, or even now could put into words what that exactly means to me as a 36 year old, damaged, single woman.  How do I guard my heart, but still let people in?  Now I am not just talking about romantic feelings here, I mean even friendships, right?  Because we have to be able to set boundaries for others.  If we don't then people use up all of our energy, time, and leave nothing left behind.  I am all for being a loving friend, that is not what I am getting at here.  I just think that we have lost what it means to guard your heart.  Somehow we have to do better at teaching our kids, ourselves, and our communities this very important concept. 


I do think that in part it has to do with boundaries.  So... I am setting off on a journey of discovery.  I want to learn this year how to guard my heart, and how to teach others how to guard their hearts.  How to have healthy boundaries with people, so that I can love them the way they need to be loved.  So that I am without a doubt living my most intentional, authentic life. 


I don't think it is going to be an easy journey, in fact I think that there are going to be some tough moments, because we all like to think that we have this boundaries/guarding thing under control... when in reality we probably don't at all. 


I would love thoughts and input from others.  I have a quick survey to get me started, that I would urge you to fill out if you haven't already....  it will help me start this process...... 








https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5CG1LAB0DZgqFPKEItCN0Wn7xAEqGM5PgG7jyXFrnHlQ3QA/viewform?usp=sf_link






If you filled the survey out thank you!  I appreciate you helping me take another step along this journey....


I am excited to see where it leads me! 

No comments: